Gardens for Wildlife
Gardens for wildlife is a free program designed to encourage and guide local residents to create wildlife friendly gardens that support biodiversity and improve habitat connectivity within Nillumbik.
Nillumbik Gardens for Wildlife is a collaboration between community members and Nillumbik Shire Council, including Edendale.
Trained ‘Garden Guide’ volunteers visit private properties to provide simple, practical advice on how to create habitat gardens for our local wildlife.
How does it work?
- The program is open to private residents, schools and eligible community groups (that have a suitable garden space).
- It doesn’t matter if you have acreage, a big backyard, a small courtyard or a balcony with some pot plants, everyone can be involved.
- Start by registering your interest.
- Two trained, friendly and local ‘Garden Guides’ will tour your garden with you, and provide wildlife gardening suggestions and support.
- Garden visits are non-judgemental. They provide insights/information to assist you to increase habitat and food sources for wildlife in your garden.
- You are provided with a short written report following the visit, along with some wildlife gardening resources, a letterbox sticker that helps to showcase the program, and a voucher for free indigenous plants from Edendale nursery to help kickstart your wildlife garden.
How to get involved
For garden owners - request a visit from a Garden Guide
To register your interest in participating in the Gardens for Wildlife program, please complete the form at the link below and a team member will contact you.
Please note, as this program is run by volunteers there may be a waiting period before you receive notification of a visit. We appreciate your patience.
If you have any questions, or would like some help to fill in this form, you can contact Council’s Environment team on 9433 3543 or email email@example.com.
Register your garden
For volunteers - become a Garden Guide
Are you passionate about local wildlife and connecting people to nature? Nillumbik Gardens for Wildlife is always looking for people to join our volunteer Garden Guides.
You don’t need to be a wildlife gardening expert – we will provide you with training and ongoing support.
We value diversity and are continuously working towards creating an inclusive and flexible volunteer environment. If you would like to discuss any specific needs or requirements, please get in contact.
Apply to become a Garden Guide
The program is supported by Gardens for Wildlife Victoria and liaises with other Gardens for Wildlife hubs throughout Victoria.
For assistance to apply or to request information in an alternative format, contact the Environment team on 9433 3543 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Council welcomes contact via the National Relay Service (NRS).