Habitat Planting on the Diamond Creek
Join Nillumbik Council, Edendale Farm, Melbourne Water and the Friends of Edendale in a (rescheduled) family re-vegetation activity along the Diamond Creek near Edendale to help rebuild habitat for our local platypus.
Plants growing on and near river banks are an important part of platypus habitat. A dense layer of diverse indigenous vegetation along the creek:
- Stabilizes the creek banks where platypus build their homes / burrows
- Promotes a healthy and diverse freshwater ecosystem for the platypus's food (water bugs) to thrive
- Cleans water runoff from neighbouring land of pollutants before entering the creek
- Reduces soil erosion improving creek water turbidity (suspended dirt particles)
- Provides additional refuge for platypus to hide from foxes and unsupervised pets
- Traps litter before entering the creek
Our goal is to plant 500 indigenous plants on the day. The activity will be supervised by Melbourne Water and Edendale Farm with volunteers from the newly formed Friends of Edendale helping on the day.
We ask that you bring your own gardening gloves, hats, enclosed shoes, sun screen and water bottle. All other equipment will be provided on the day.
When booking your tickets, please book a ticket for every person in your group to help us manage numbers.
We aim to make this event / workshops as accessible as possible. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 9433 3711 to discuss how we can make this event / workshop inclusive and accessible for you.
- The planting locations are on flat land bordering the Diamond Creek and not on the steep creek banks
- Children will need to be supervised at all times as we are near the creek
- This is a COVID safe event. You will be notified if plans change due to COVID restriction changes.
Other Platypus Celebration Activities:
This re-vegetation activity is part of the rescheduled Platypus Celebration. Other activities you cans still participate in include:
- The self guided platypus bike ride (starting at Edendale near the bridge)
- Access to 4 recorded webinars on platypus, their habitat, food resources and threats
Privacy Collection Notice
Nillumbik Shire Council – Edendale Farm is collecting your information for the purpose of booking you in to the Habitat Planting event. The information you provide will be used to evaluate and improve the visitor experience at the farm. The personal information you provide will not be shared without your consent unless we are permitted or required to by law. You have the right to access and correct your personal information. Enquiries for access should be made to the Privacy Officer 9433 3271, email@example.com or PO Box 476, Greensborough Vic 3088.
Saturday, 21 May 2022 | 10:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
Saturday, 21 May 2022 | 01:00 PM
- 03:00 PM
Edendale Community Environment Farm, 30 Gastons Road, Eltham 3095 View map