CancelledHabitat Planting on the Diamond Creek (rescheduled)
Join Nillumbik Council, Edendale Farm, Melbourne Water and the Friends of Edendale in a (rescheduled) family re-vegetation activity along the Diamond Creek near Edendale to help rebuild habitat for our local platypus.
Plants growing on and near river banks are an important part of platypus habitat. A dense layer of diverse indigenous vegetation along the creek:
- Stabilizes the creek banks where platypus build their homes / burrows
- Promotes a healthy and diverse freshwater ecosystem for the platypus's food (water bugs) to thrive
- Cleans water runoff from neighbouring land of pollutants before entering the creek
- Reduces soil erosion improving creek water turbidity (suspended dirt particles)
- Provides additional refuge for platypus to hide from foxes and unsupervised pets
- Traps litter before entering the creek
Our goal is to plant 500 indigenous plants on the day. The activity will be supervised by Melbourne Water and Edendale Farm with volunteers from the newly formed Friends of Edendale helping on the day.
Come for the full 2 hours or just for a part of the activity.
We ask that you bring your own gardening gloves, hats, enclosed shoes, sun screen and water bottle. All other equipment will be provided on the day.
When booking your tickets, please book a ticket for every person in your group to help us manage numbers.
- The planting locations are on flat land bordering the Diamond Creek and not on the steep creek banks
- Children will need to be supervised at all times as we are near the creek
- This is a COVID safe event. You will be notified if plans change due to COVID restriction changes
Other Platypus Celebration Activities:
This re-vegetation activity is part of the rescheduled Platypus Celebration. Other activities you cans still participate in include:
- The self guided platypus bike ride (starting at Edendale near the bridge)
- Access to 4 recorded webinars on platypus, their habitat, food resources and threats
- A day of Platypus Celebrations at Edendale on 4th September - 11am to 4pm
Click here for more information about these other Platypus Celebration activities
The personal information requested on this form is being collected by Council for the registration for an activity. This information will be used solely by Council for that primary, or directly related, purposes. The applicant understands that the personal information provided is for the registration for an activity and that they may apply to Council for access to and/or amendment of the information.
When (All dates cancelled)
Saturday, 14 August 2021 | 10:00 AM
- 12:00 PM
Edendale Community Environment Farm, 30 Gastons Road, Eltham 3095 View Map